I have an obsession with KIND bars and often crave one in between my morning classes, but my wallet can no longer feed this $3 a day addiction.
Solution: Homemade Granola Bars made with all natural, energy-boosting ingredients
Oats contain vitamin B, which energizes and lowers stress. Oats help transform carbs into long-lasting, usable energy.
Almonds full of omega-3s and omega-6s, the good kind of monounsaturated fats, which improves focus, mental alertness, and clarity.
Citrus rich in vitamin C and the grated zest is sure to brighten and awaken your senses!
Energy-Rich Granola Bar Recipe
(Adapted from NYTimes recipe for Coconut Granola Bars)
• ¼ cup canola oil
• 2 cups rolled oats
• 1 heaped cup flaked coconut, unsweetened
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 orange, grated zest from peel
• ½ cup mild honey, or agave nectar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 cup raw nuts, coarsely chopped (almonds, walnuts, cashews)
• ½ cup dried fruit (cranberries and raisins)
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Place the oats and oil in a bowl, and stir until coated. Spread the oats in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment, and toast for about 20 minutes, stirring once, until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven, return to the bowl, and add the coconut, spices, salt, orange zest, nuts, and dried fruit stirring to combine. Turn the oven down to 300F.
2. Place the honey and vanilla in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and pour over the oat mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Line a 9x13x2” pan with parchment. Pour the granola mixture into the pan and spread in an even layer. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. (Don’t let it become too brown, or the bars will be too hard). Allow to cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares. (Store extra crumbles in a jar for granola). Keep bars in an airtight container for up to a week.I shared a few with my friend Kellen before his big bike race… he came back for more the next day, assuring me they had helped him finish his race. Eaters BEWARE, they go fast!