These are actually closer to cupcakes than muffins but I skipped the cream cheese icing so muffin seemed more appropriate. You can decrease the amount of sugar to make them less sweet and more of a breakfast muffin OR add the cream cheese icing to make them a proper dessert. I prefer having the option of eating them at any point during the day – so I kept the sugar around “cupcake level” and left off the icing to spare myself from a sugar crash in the morning. Logical right?
Gluten-Free Carrot-Cake “Muffins” Recipe
(recipe adapted from here)
– 2 c brown rice flour* (2 c whole wheat pastry flour)
– 1/2 c gluten-free all-purpose flour* (1 c all-purpose flour skip cornmeal)
– 1/2 c cornmeal
– 2 tsp baking soda
– 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 tsp ground ginger
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– 1/2 tsp kosher salt
– 1 c brown sugar OR agave nectar* (1/2 c sugar for muffins)
– 1/4 c canola oil
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 c plain yogurt (plain soy yogurt)
– 1 lb carrots, grated
– 1/2 c golden raisins
– 1/4 c chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat brown sugar and canola oil for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in yogurt, carrots, raisins, and walnuts. Mix in the flour mixture until just combined.
3. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.