It’s about that time of the month where I try to be a little less extravagant and a bit more frugal with my money. In the kitchen this means things get extremely creative! Around mid-day yesterday, I decided I wanted something savory and went to the fridge only to find some cheese, one eggplant, one tomato, half an onion, and one remaining naan bread from a dinner I made earlier this week. My thoughts – Naan bread pizza of course!
But how was I going to incorporate eggplant?? I searched around some food blogs for a minute and came up with a quick, delicious recipe for a vegetable pizza.
Garden Eggplant Pizza
(Recipe yields: 2 Naan bread pizzas or 1 large pizza)
* 1 large eggplant, peeled
* 1 medium tomato
* 1 red bell pepper
* 1 onion
* 1 small zucchini (optional)
* 1 large garlic clove, minced
* 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 2 fresh Naan breads (or pizza dough to make 1 large pizza)
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or fresh basil chiffonaded)
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Chop eggplant and next 4 ingredients coarsely; saute garlic in 1 tablespoon oil (just long enough to infuse the oil); sauté vegetables in garlic oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender.