Every Saturday I wake up eager to walk down to the Marion Square Farmers Market. We are blessed to have enough local farms here in South Carolina to provide our community with the freshest, ripest produce. So this Saturday I perused the stalls, tasted a variety of jams, cheeses, and cold soups, and returned home with some gorgeous arugula, tomatoes, SC peaches, as well as some local goat cheese with sea salt.
It was only fitting that I make a delicious farmers market brunch Sunday morning with all my fresh ingredients. The menu consisted of Herb-Roasted Tomatoes with Polenta, an Arugula, Feta Scramble and a Homemade Granola and Fruit Parfait.
Herb-Roasted Tomatoes and Polenta RecipeIngredients:
– Store bought “Original Polenta” cut into 1/2 inch slices
– 1 ripe tomato cut into 1/2 inch rounds
– Italian-herb seasoning or fresh herbs
– Extra-virgin olive oil (2 tsp)
– Balsamic vinegar (1-2 tsp)
– Fresh cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 350. Assemble the polenta slices on a slightly greased pan, then place the tomato slices on top, followed by fresh herbs, drizzled olive oil, balsamic, and fresh black pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
Arugula and Feta Scramble RecipeIngredients:
– 1 T butter
– 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
– 1-2 eggs
– 1/4 onion finely chopped
– 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
– 1-2 handfuls arugula (rocket)
– Feta cheese crumbles (desired amount)
– Salt and pepper
Heat skillet with equal portions butter and olive oil (better flavor). Quick saute the onions until fragrant, add garlic and arugula and saute for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add eggs and scramble. Once cooked through, add desired amount of feta cheese, salt and pepper and transfer to plate.
Homemade Granola and Fruit Parfait RecipeIngredients:
– Homemade granola (see recipe on previous post)
– 1 banana halved and sliced
– 1 peach diced
– 1 carton yogurt
– any additional add-ins: cereal, fruit, toasted wheat germ, nuts, etc.
Layer granola, fruit, yogurt or simply combine in a bowl and enjoy!